High Spec Print Finishes - Potential Chapter/Book

Posted: Wednesday 30 March 2011 | Posted by Adam Townend | Labels: ,

High spec print finishes
The use of print finishes should be confined to those who use them effectively?
Who uses them effectively?
How will fluctuating material costs affect the market?
Who uses high spec print?
Why use high spec print?
How will creative budget costs affect the implementation of costly print jobs?


I have covered most of these questions without really knowing. I feel that I need to really focus down my research to find effective examples of studios that use the finishes effectively, and also studios who don't. This is still subjective, but at present, I feel that the studios who use them simply for aesthetic value have to question why? Is it something that immediately impresses the end user, or is it something that designers want to use because foil blocking, spot varnishes and embossing techniques are popular.

Bookbinding methods
The appropriateness of bookbinding to design delivery should be considered
Why should we care about bookbinding?
How many methods are there?
How can binding help a print revival?
The effectiveness of machines/mass production binding versus the physical act of binding?
What value does binding add?
Where are you likely to be to play around with different binding methods?
What industries provide the best opportunities?
What materials could be used? to what effect?
Where do you source the materials?

My next set of questions should steer me to look into an area that is totally unfamiliar but only if I gain from it. How much do I need to know about bookbinding as a designer? Do i need to know of the specific techniques or do I just need to know how they look and feel once completed as part of a book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment