Xavier Encinas Interview

Posted: Wednesday 27 April 2011 | Posted by Adam Townend | Labels: ,

































Who or what turned you on to graphic design?

The work of Michael C. Place and The Designers Republic really gave the inspiration to go on designing for print. I was very attracted by the modern and shiny way of TDR’s design and also the power of the simplicity in Build’s work.


Who or what are your influences?

My early print work was really influenced by Build and TDR. Now my design is very grid and type oriented. I admire the swiss graphic design and pioneers like Müller-Brockmann, Max Bill, Max Hubert, Wim Crouwel… today I try to get rid off all this history to find my own way.


What is your favorite typeface?

Helvetica


What is your favorite color palette to work with?
Black & white, sometimes grey and pink.




Can you explain your creative process from brief to completion?
When a new project comes to us, the first step, of course, is to understand the brief but then try to conceptualize the project as a whole. I take the time to try all of the ideas I have and experiment with different ways of executing them, before I put them on paper. Sometimes my first idea is the good one, sometimes it is not… our design is very grid-oriented so the grid helps to organize all of the elements of the design, in a way that is easy to understand.


Do you use a grid system when designing and how do you feel about them?
Grid is my way of design. For me it’s a fundamental basis for all my design from poster to business card and books. In a sense it’s a very safe environment but also very rough path. It’s always challenging to design using a grid because the need to accept to be free. For me form needs to serve the message.

0 comments:

Post a Comment