26 - Last years book

Posted: Friday 25 February 2011 | Posted by Adam Townend | Labels: ,

I initially didn't really want to see last years book because I would subconsciously try to do something completely different to what was done before without thinking rationally. This effort is a year old now and trends have moved on. To me, I feel this feels like it was done on a tight schedule and a tight budget. The stock and finish is adequate and the photography seems fine.

The layout and font choices are not what I would choose but the subjectivity of Graphic Design means that committee will always prevail over ones choice. I am unsure as to how much effect the client had on the look of this book or the deadlines that were worked too but I feel we can go a step beyond with the book this year. There is a certain layout throughout the book that makes the spreads repetitive. I felt that once I'd seen a few of the spreads I had seen them all. That said, the quotes spreads break up the cycle which is something we may implement in our book dependent on the content provided.

The book has a minimal colour palette which is a good decision based on the amount of colour used in the imagery. Although, perhaps the whole book could be lifted by one colour, not necessarily a spot colour as this would add to the expense needlessly. I am still confused about what Interdisciplinary want to get out of the year book, and I feel this could have been a stumbling block last year. We must get to the bottom of what they want the year book to be; a celebration of the students and their work to promote the course or as a promotional book for the degree show. It looks like they have tried to do both here.
































0 comments:

Post a Comment